ALAE is an autonomous branch of Prospect. We maintain our own executive board to manage the branch and determine policy in consultation with our members. The Executive Board consists of members currently active within the aviation industry. ALAE operates under the Prospect Certificate of Independence and so is more than capable of providing the conditions for full company negotiations. However, whilst we would like to get recognition for all our members in all companies, the reality is that where another union has an agreement with the company we cannot use legal force to make the company recognise ALAE. That is not to say that we will not have a go when requested to do so by our members. For our members in companies where there is an existing agreement for your bargaining group, what we can do for you as a member of ALAE is accompany you and represent you at disciplinary and grievance hearings. Despite what any company handbooks may say, you have the statutory right to be accompanied by a trade union official even if that union is not recognised by the company. In companies that do not have any union agreements in place then we are free to make an application for recognition in accordance with Schedule A1 of the Trades Union and Labour Relations (Consolidated) Act 1992 (TULRCA). Like all the other trade unions we too provide legal assistance for our members. This expertise is now provided by Prospect who for many years have been extremely successful in dealing with a whole range of industrial and legal issues.
Professional AssociationProbably most LAE's who work in the General Aviation sector do not require Trade Union representation and so for those we are a Professional Association. We are the principal body for Licensed Aircraft Engineers in the UK and our opinion is respected in the industry. The biggest service we offer to you is to represent you in that industry and this we do by attending the numerous committees, maintaining dialogue with the CAA and now with EASA. The committees we are currently attending are, the UK Flight Safety Committee (UKFSC), Advisory Board for CHIRP (Confidential Human Factors Incident Reporting Programme), Aircraft Engineers International (Executive Board meetings and the Annual Congress), Mangerial and Professionals Association (MPA), General Aviation Consultative Committee (GACC). We also attend various working groups at the CAA and at EASA in Cologne. Our committment to the industry is to ensure that it is safe as possible by ensuring that all certifiers are adequately trained, examined and hold a licence. That is why we are so active just now over the so called "level playing field" in Europe. All aviation entities within the EC are supposed to be singing from the same hymn sheet but we know that is not the case and we are trying to prevent further erosion of the standards. It may seem as though we have two divisions but in reality we are one body for the Licensed Aircraft Engineer, irrespective of where you work. As a member you don't get one without the other. We will give you everything and you can take from us what you need. All of our services are available irrespective of where you work in the industry. All we ask in return is that you give us your support. Tell your friends about us and make sure they are aware of what we can provide for the LAE. Make sure they know what they are missing out on by not being a member. We can do everything all the other unions can and more!
The Association of Licensed Aircraft Engineers
- Aims are to ensure that Safety is always the paramount Consideration.
- Ambitions are to raise the status and dignity of the profession.
- Is a professional association run by practising and retired Licensed Engineers.
- Is totally focused on the needs and requirements of our members.
- Is an Association for those people who work on, or are directly associated with Aircraft and their related Airworthiness requirements.
- Is not an umbrella organisation for disparate professions.
- Has approximately 2100 members.
- Has one of the lowest subscription rates for a Trade Union.
- Has a legal department that helps members when difficulties arise.
- Has a Bi-monthly magazine sent out to all fully paid up members.
- We regularly consult with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and EASA.
- We have a member on the Confidential Human Factors Incident Reporting Programme (CHIRP).
- We are founder members of Aircraft Engineers International (AEI) who have a representative on the Joint Aviation Authority Joint Maintenance Board (JAA/JMB Now European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).
- We are members of the Managerial and Professional Association (MPA) which gives us access to the European Union (EU).
- We are members of the United Kingdom Flight Safety Committee (UKFSC).
- We are represented on the General Aviation Consultative Committee (GACC)